Three guest speakers + a lot of status updates to report = a long October meeting. Many thanks to our Sumner Association of Neighbors (SAN) secretary, Erica, for these (abridged) notes from the October 18, 2011 meeting.
Report from Portland Police Officer Jerry Cioeta
- Presented offense report from past 30 days- “smash and grab” car prowls and home invasions being a focus with upcoming holiday season.
- Suspected activity of 82nd & Sandy Blvd. The perception of activity is often exaggerated. Is currently working with 7-11, Dotty’s and Pizza Hut businesses on a Trespassing Agreement. Questions of what kinds of activity happen at the intersection: drugs (heroin), prostitution and fights. Because of efforts of Portland police (prostitution detail) some activity is down from 3-4 years ago.
- Neighbors brought to the officers attention, suspicious activity in the vicinity of 90th and Going street. Officer Jerry is well versed with “JT and crew”. Scott requested more patrols on Going st. Scott has invited Mark Wells, Community Policing Officer to November’s meeting for Neighborhood Watch discussion.
- Addressed questions of Neighbors who have called CNN/Ronda regarding Magazine salespeople sales tactics, especially to elderly neighbors. Officer Cioeta is familiar with the magazine companies (operating with a legitimate business license) and based out of the Howard Johnson hotel on 82nd. He encouraged to not answer door and to call the police if any problems with magazine salesperson.
Guest Speaker: Michael Andersen of Willamette Pedestrian Coalition: WPC is a non profit organization dedicated to promoting walking and making the conditions for walking safe and inviting.
- To become involved with WPC please call 503-223-1597 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Anticipated completion of the “Getting Around on Foot” 54 pg. Action plan- Working with PBOT, Trimet, and ODOT to ensure that walking is a part of their planning and development projects.
- Another resource for Transportational Related issues, 503-823-SAFE (7233)
Guest Speaker: Babs Adamski, Community Outreach Coordinator, City of Portland Office of Planning & Sustainability to discuss the new composting program:
- Gave a little history of Phase I (co-mingling) & II (food waste compost) of solid waste/recycling efforts
- Residents seemed more concerned with pests- Metro, Vector control, Mult. Co. Health dept. weighed in on the health concerns-it is unlikely if you have not experienced any previous problems with pests, you will not with the new collection system- (covered containers)
- Answered questions regarding the new composting Curbside Collection “Be Cart Smart”. Need help? See www.portlandcomposts.com or call the hotline 503-823-7202 or email: email@example.com
- Update on 19 Nov 2011: Holiday composting tips from the Bureau of Planning and Sustainability: Include the Food: Holiday tips and tricks (34 KB DOC)
- Approval for Draft calendar for 2012. Approved with three updates: (1) Friends of Trees purchase deadline for yard/sidewalk trees Feb. 6, 2012 subject to extension; (2) Johnson Lake Stewardship work party TBA – more details on stewardship program needed; (3) Annual Sumner Neighborhood Clean Up, date changed to Saturday, May 19th, 2012.
- Update on Halloween Party. Heather secured donations from Cascade Station Subway; Mountain Coin to bring games to event; Candy donations accepted through 10/27.
- Update on Community Garden. Scott met with Parkrose School Superintendent, Dr. Karen Gray and business manager, Mary Larson today. Garden plans were well received. Recommendations were to attend the upcoming Parkrose School Board Meeting and present to the board for review. Steering committee is to be formed.
- Johnson Lake Stewardship. Recent clean up was well attended. As per calendar amendments, April 2012 clean up event TBA-More information needed on Stewardship Program from Parks & Rec.
- Liquor License Application. Please refer to website for most current information on this topic.
- Friends of Trees. Save the Date the Neighborhood Tree Planting (with Parkrose, Argay, Parkrose Heights, Russell & Wilkes) – Saturday, March 10, 2012. Sign up by 2/6/12. Deadline to purchase trees is 2/20/12. More information to come.
- Update on 82nd to 47th and Sandy Blvd Paving project. Postponed until Spring 2012
- Sumner Pride Litter Patrol. 1,543 lbs. of Litter collected so far this year. Next clean up, Saturday, 10/29/11
- WTS septic pumper and processor. The WTS Conditional Use Permit pre-application conference is scheduled for Oct 20. Web links to the City of Portland and DEQ pages — and ongoing updates — can be found on the SAN website.