Thanks to Erica, the secretary for Sumner Association of Neighbors (SAN) in NE Portland for drafting these meeting notes.
Guest Speaker: Officer Mark Wells – Crime Prevention Coordinator
Mark provided crime statistics on Sumner Neighborhood. To learn more about the current statistics, check out http://www.portlandonline.com/police/crimestats/index.cfm.
Other items from Mark:
- Property Related Crimes: (such as car prowls) on slight rise, especially with the holiday season, throughout Portland. A tip on preventing car prowls from Office of Neighborhood Involvement: Keep your vehicle “showroom” clean. This means don’t leave ANYTHING in your vehicle, especially something of value. Even visible spare change can entice a criminal to break into your car. If you must store items in your car, use your trunk. Also, park in a well lit area, roll up windows and lock your doors every time you leave your vehicle.
- Crime Prevention Programs: Neighborhood Watch (training provided) and the Operation Recovery programs. With the help of Officer Wells, Scott will create a flyer to canvass the neighborhood to generate and take poll of neighborhood’s interest of Neighborhood Watch program. Training for the Neighborhood Watch program also includes training on Neighborhood Problem Solving.
- Operation Recovery: a tool to use for Property Inventory Record. Office Wells encouraged neighbors to itemize belongings, as information listed on the form would be useful and needed in case of theft/burglary for police reports and insurance claims. In the case of theft, property has a better chance of being recovered.
- A reminder: To report any suspicious activity, please call Portland Police non-emergency at 503-823-3333.
- Office of Neighborhood Involvement (ONI) Bureau is preparing the 2012-13 budget and all are invited to attend Budget Advisory Committee (BAC) meetings. Officer Wells also encouraged neighbors to part a part of that process. To see a list of upcoming meetings, visit ONI website: http://www.portlandonline.com/oni/index.cfm?c=56501.
- ONI General Fund Cuts – must submit 4%, 6% and 8% cuts (approximately $220,000 to $500,000) (Police and Fire Services fall into this category and would be affected.)
- Opportunities for Public Input: ONI BAC meetings –5:30pm, Portland Building Room C (during non-budget, City Hall Lovejoy Rm). Or online testimony/input, Contact Council directly: http://www.portlandonline.com/index.cfm?c=28533.
- Community Garden: Meeting tonight at 8pm of Helensview Community Garden Steering Committee.
- Halloween Party Recap: Good Turn Out, Ready for next year
- WTS: From 10/20 Pre Application Process- WTS to submit/file a detailed plan by Dec 20th. Bureau of Development Services (BDS) minutes can be found on Sumner’s website at: SumnerPDX.org
- Litter Patrol update: a total 1,738 lbs of litter collected, as of current. Working with School to Work Coordinator at Helensview to involve the students in the Litter Patrol.
- Don’t Forget the Sumner Assoc. of Neighbors Holiday Gala December 6th 6pm-8 pm at CNN office.
Next General meeting February
15, 2012 6-8:30pm 20, 2012, 6:30-8:30 PM
Conversations of the SAN lot were brought up- walking path around the field. More to be discussed at future meetings.